The (hidden) advantages of working from home.
What are the (hidden) advantage of working from home? Due to the developments around the COVID-19 (aka Corona) virus, I suddenly have to work from home. I often work from home for a day and I really like that, but working from home every day for a longer period of time, hmmmm …. Frankly, I’m a little bit looking up to this period because I will miss my colleagues, the energy at work and the fun we have together. And so I started to think about the (hidden) advantages of working at home for a longer period. Maybe it will also help you, even not every home-working situation will be the same.
- You save (travel) time. In my case more than an hour a day!
- You save money. In my case I save at least diesel, but also money that I spend on tea and lunch.
- You can drink your own coffee / tea. And when the sun is shining you can also do this in your own garden or on your own balcony.
- You can listen to your own music and make it as loud and soft as you want. In addition, sing along loudly or dance along.
- You can organize your time flexibly. Start early in the morning or late, work in the evening, hang up a laundry in between, everything is possible (as long as you make your hours of course 🙂).
- You can do your work in your sweatpants and slippers, no one is watching you.
Have a break
It is important for myself, and perhaps also for you, to have enough variety in the day. Getting a cup of coffee or tea, chat or laugh with a colleague, a consultation, I do that at home much less or not at all. Because of this I am sitting on my PC alone for far too long. So take a little break in time:
- Do a few (yoga) exercises (or a dance 😉), for example this one;
- Meditate, for example this one especially when you’re feeling anxious;
- Take a walk;
- Fold the laundry (or another household chore).
Also here I came across some tips to make working from home a bit more fun.
At the moment, in the Netherlands, the government is assessing whether the schools might also have to close. This entails completely different challenges. Even for me, although I no longer have to entertain my adolescent daughters myself and I expect I can do my work well from home. Although the reason for all of this is quite annoying and also frightening, I try to remain positive and calm as much as possible. Fortunately, I also see many beautiful and positive initiatives.
Maybe there are some ideas you can use from my blog Overflow. Do you have any ideas to make it as easy and fun as possible for yourself?